CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
Special Section: "Python in Neuroscience"
Journal: Frontiers in Neuroinformatics [www.frontiersin.org/neuroinformatics]
Rolf Kötter (Radboud University Medical Centre Nijmegen, Netherlands)
James A. Bednar (University of Edinburgh, UK)
Andrew Davison (UNIC, CNRS, France)
Markus Diesmann (RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Japan)
Marc-Oliver Gewaltig (Honda Research Institute Europe GmbH, Germany)
Michael Hines (Yale University, USA)
Eilif Muller (LCN-EPFL, Switzerland)
Abstract/outline submission deadline: June 14th, 2008.
Invitations for full paper submissions sent by June 21st, 2008.
Invited full paper submission deadline: September 14th, 2008.
Special Section Abstract:
Python is rapidly becoming the de facto standard language for systems
integration. Python has a large user and developer-base external to
the neuroscience community, and a vast module library that facilitates
rapid and maintainable development of complex and intricate systems.
In this special section, we highlight recent efforts to develop Python
modules for the domain of neuroscience software and neuroinformatics:
- simulators and simulator interfaces
- data collection and analysis
- sharing, re-use, storage and databasing of models and data
- stimulus generation
- parameter search and optimization
- VLSI hardware interfacing
Moreover, we seek to provide a representative overview of existing
mature Python modules for neuroscience and neuroinformatics, to
demonstrate a critical mass and show that Python is an appropriate
choice of interpreter interface for future neuroscience software
Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit on or before June
14th, 2008 a max. 1 page abstract/outline of work related to the focus
of the special section to firstname.lastname@example.org, CC'd to email@example.com
for consideration for inclusion as an elaborated full article in the
Please include a provisional title, a full author list, and format the
subject of your email as follows: "[python SI] outline - Your Name".
Authors will be notified whether their contribution has been accepted
by June 21st, 2008.
Full Article Information:
* Full articles will be solicited by invitation only, based on the
abstracts/outlines we receive by June 14th, 2008.
* The deadline for submission of invited full articles will be
September 14th, 2008.
* Article formatting will be as for standard Frontiers "Original
Research Articles". Guidelines and instructions for their preparation
can be found at
* General author instructions for Frontiers in Neuroinformatics can be
found at http://frontiersin.org/authorinstructions/.
* Frontiers in Neuroinformatics is an open access journal, following a
pay-for-publication model. Details of the publication fees can be found
* Further details will be provided to authors of accepted abstracts by
June 21st, 2008.